Thursday 10 April 2014

IT'S ALIVE!



Firstly, I would like to thank you for checking out my blog. Hope you like what you read and come back soon!

So after almost two years of waiting, we have finally gotten some more information on Epic's new title, Fortnite. I personally saw this game when the trailer was first released, got really hyped up, then promptly forgot about it completely. Well, the newest issue of GameInformer has gotten all of the hype back, with Fortnite as its main feature.

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, let me tell you about the cool new game called Fortnite. Fortnite is a Third-person, action-adventure game that is similar to rust or minecraft. You are tasked with destroying many "portals" that are drawing monsters that you must fight into the world. I really love the art style of this game, as I do with all of Epic's games, and the new info has gotten me particularly excited.

Firstly: Its not actually a server that you will be joining, but someone elses campaign via drop in/drop out coop. This increases the chances of it being a couch coop game, as many drop in/drop out games are (This is purely speculation on my part, it might be online only anyways).

Secondly, its procedurally generated, which is always nice in my opinion as it provides much more gameplay and replay value.

And then we have the classes:

At first glance, the classes may seem pretty standard fare, but with a closer look all but one are fairly new ideas.

  • The Constructor is our engineer character. They build faster and use less materials doing so. They also have some sort of base repair item that they can build to help protect your home.
  • Of course, have our shooty shooty class, the Commando. This fella will be the best choice for those who just want to murder everyone. Their headshots and reloads will be better than any of the other classes, and they can also use grenades and mines.
  • Ninja. Perfect for those of us who like to jump around in games, they can use smoke bombs and ninja stars. They also get a bonus in melee combat.
  • Lastly we have the Scavenger, who I assume will work well with the builder. This particular class can collect resources faster than any of the other ones.


Something else that I found interesting is that it will be free-to-play, which I am OK with.

Let me explain:

I dislike free to play games that are competitive almost as a rule. Some games manage to do it well, by only selling cosmetic items or whatever. However, when a coop FTP game is created, I feel like everyone wins, especially the customer. Firstly, there is not way for it to become unbalanced as there is no one for the person who spends a hundred dollars on the game to be better than. 
Also, as with all FTP games, the devs have to keep the game good, if they wish to keep making money, by fixing bugs, adding cool new content or even by adding paid DLC.

This is definitely a game to keep your guy, especially if you're someone who plays building games like Rust, Minecraft or Gmod. Or if you're someone who plays third person shooters. Or plays RPGs. So almost everyone. Just keep an eye on this game, I'm betting it'll be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment